6. Build Relationships and Community

The Big Idea: Proven ways of bonding with individuals and groups.

Camp may be one of your first experiences in building an intentional relationship with someone who is not family or one of your chosen friends. It is easy to love your friends, said Jesus, but try loving your enemies (Matt 5:43-48). Hopefully campers won't become your enemies! The point is, Jesus' followers are called to love when it is not easy to love.

The book offers several strategies for building relationships in the camp setting. Here is another one that I don't think will work but it might get your thoughts moving:


Jesus' example of relationship-building is described in Phil 2:3-5: "Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves,  not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others. In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus..."

It can be stimulating to set aside your own interests and pursue those of another person. You might learn a few things from your campers this summer! Most of all, it tells them that they are important to you. When you take time to listen, to be interested and interact with a camper, they see that you love them.

The dynamics of your cabin group are powerful tools in God's hands. Good things can happen in a small group that can't happen any other way. In whatever position you have at camp this summer, you are part of a community through which God will do great things! "Speaking the truth in love, we will grow to become in every respect the mature body of him who is the head, that is, Christ.  From him the whole body, joined and held together by every supporting ligament, grows and builds itself up in love, as each part does its work" (Eph 4:15-16).

Please post your thoughts on these questions in the "Comments" box below. You will need to sign in with a Google or other account in order to do so.
  1. If your role is not cabin-leading this summer, what intentional steps will you take to connect with campers during the week?
  2. As a cabin leader, what items will you bring with you to help create cabin identity and unity?
  3. Do you feel ready to give your heart away to a group of campers this summer?

10 comments:

  1. I'm not sure what my role will be this summer but on the years that I was a cabin leader I really liked to come prepared. If possible, meeting with the Junior leader at my home and praying together and going over ideas on what activities and devotions we would do in the cabin was extremely helpful. Deciding together on how we would work as a team throughout the week made going to camp less stressful and we could get very excited about our cabin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. First year doing this so I was thinking of bringing some devotional material and some Decorations for the Cabin and having the Girls do the decorating. I also am bringing a white board for any bible verses we need to memorize. I feel excited and ready to do this. Regina J Rose

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am working in the kitchen at camp. It is my intention to may time to talk to the campers while they are getting their meals and perhaps during my down time. I am prepared to talk to the campers and listen intently on what they would like to share with me. I trust that the Lord with speak through and give me the wisdom and words to respond to the camper and make an impact in their life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1) N/A
    2) I am going to connect my co-cabinleaderes and we will try to find some sort of costume/cheer/activity that we can use to bond and create some team spirit
    3) this is my first time as a cabinleader so I don't really know quite waht to expect but i am working up to this idea

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1. N/A
    2. I will bring string to have something to bond with and make cabin bracelets. I will also bring smarties to facilitate cabin discussion in a fun way. As well as props and other theme oriented items.
    3. I fell so ready to give my heart to these campers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well I'm on the worship team as well and I really want to set a good example of worship for the kids. If I see a kid who wasn't really into to it, I could go talk to him and ask him questions and just be his friend.
    2. I bringing a lot of candy haha. They help when we are trying to achieve goals as a team.
    3. 110%

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will be doing kitchen staff and when I'm not having to be in the kitchen, I'll wonder around and meet some of the youth. If there is a kid sitting alone, I could encourage them to come play a game with me and get some other kids involved
    I am not Cabin leading at Imadene, but if I was, maybe I'd bring some stuff to make special identical bracelets that the campers and I could make during cabin time. Or I could get bandanas or something like that which would be unique from what others are wearing.
    I am not cabin leading at Imadene this year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have thought through a number of ideas to help bond as a cabin - from crafts to games to conversation starters. I am excited to meet my cabin and discover who they are in order to adapt to their needs and interests. I am excited to meet them and love on each of them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Totally ready! I’m super excited to get to hang out with this group of girls and learn who they are, what they are interested in, worried about, their quirky traits and their amazing abilities. God had made us all fearfully and wonderfully - and unique. We will get to bond over silly games, story time, craft and encouraging sticky notes. I believe each of us in that cabin has been brought there for His good purposes and am excited to be a part of it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. 1. N/A

    2. I have thought about matching bandannas, I had a cabin leader do that a few years ago and I thought it was awesome, and I still carry the bandanna around with me.

    3. I feel like I am ready to give my heart to these campers.

    Connor Gleeson

    ReplyDelete