8. Listen to Campers' Problems

The Big Idea: Taking the initiative to hear and care for campers who are struggling.

As discussed previously, people who come to camp are hurting more than they let on, and their pain is magnified by the feeling that - in our high-tech world especially - no one is listening.

What does it take to listen well? James gives this advice to his scattered and hurting church: "My dear brothers and sisters, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,  because human anger does not produce the righteousness that God desires" (James 1:19-20).
  • "Quick to listen" means being available, approachable, giving the clues that you have time and are interested.
  • "Slow to speak" means resisting the temptation to compare your experience to theirs or give advice or answers before you fully understand.
  • "Slow to become angry" doesn't mean that the injustice of their situation shouldn't anger you, but that you need to careful to respond rather than react.
Here are some "ground rules" that campers might offer for listening to them (from Jim Hancock, "Listen"):
  • "Don't ask me how I'm doing if you are not ready to listen."
  • "Some of the best questions you can ask me have no question marks."
  • "If you already know the answer, it's not a question - it's a test. I hate tests."
  • "Give me opportunity to tell you when I'm okay, and maybe I'll tell you when I'm not."
  • "Listen with your eyes - do I look okay? Listen with your heart - do you believe me?"
  • "Let me know that you're not perfect either. When I believe that, I'll talk your ear off."
Chap Clark, who you heard before, discusses five steps to helping hurt kids:


The best gift you can give a hurting camper is to listen with care and understanding.

Please post your thoughts on these questions in the "Comments" box below. You will need to sign in with a Google or other account in order to do so.
  1. Are you more of a talker or a listener? Which will be the bigger challenge for you this summer?
  2. Tell us about someone who has been a mentor for you, and what they do to make you feel heard and cared for.
  3. How do you think praying for your campers might make you a better listener?

No comments:

Post a Comment