5. Understand and Love Kids

The Big Idea: Seeing each camper through the eyes of Jesus.

A book like this can give you the idea that every child and teen who is coming to camp this summer is hurt and hurting. If that is the impression you are getting, you are reading well. Chap Clark, author of Hurt 2: Inside the World of Today's Teenagers, talks about what he discovered as he did his research on high school campuses:


Tony Campolo went around a university campus asking the question, "What words come to mind when you hear the word 'Christian'?" Students answered with words like judgmental, hypocritical, intolerant, harsh. Then he asked the same people, "What words come to mind when you hear the name 'Jesus'?" They said things like compassionate, accepting, kind, gentle. Accurate or not, their impression of the followers of Jesus is a sad commentary.

Will you accept the opportunity to change their impression this summer? People coming to camp are hurting more than they let on, through constant judgement of their image and the feeling that no one hears them. You can do something about that.

Love them.

If you think that is too simple, give some thought to these words:



In Matt 18:1-14, Jesus urges us to welcome these “little ones” in his name. This doesn’t have to do with their age – his disciples are also called “little ones.” If Prince William and Kate were coming to Family Camp this year, what would we do to be ready for them? Well, guess what: Jesus is coming to camp this year! Every time you as a representative of Christ make a child or teen or adult feel welcome here, you welcome Jesus himself.

Please post your thoughts on these questions in the "Comments" box below. You will need to sign in with a Google or other account in order to do so.
  1. Who among your acquaintances and family friends are the age of the campers you will lead this summer? What are your observations of them? 
  2. Could you talk with one of them and ask them what you should know about people their age?
  3. What will real love look like to someone of that age? What will they interpret as genuine interest and care on the part of their leader?

10 comments:

  1. I have two sons, Ethan (11) and Cayden (9), same age group than the campers I will lead in July.

    Cayden associated love with service, meaning that when I make his favorite meal or if I build Lego with him or do puzzles it all says, I love you!

    Ethan needs words of encouragement, little loving notes, watching him play basketball, hugging him, rub his back after a basketball fill his love tank.

    I will ask the boys question 2 and will post their answers later

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have 3 sons and have worked with many different aged children. I think the main thing for all ages is that you pretend they have a sign around their neck that says " make me feel special!" Be aware of how you can do that throughout the day and let them know that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Daughter is the same age as the campers, She wants to have friends, be accepted as she is, to have fun, word of encouragement and belief in her, to be noticed. To be listened to. Most of all that She is valued and loved. She especial feels love by us when we as parents treat her out to her own time with us that isn't shared by her older brother. Same for him too though.

    Talking to kids this age is great and eye opening and fun.

    Real love looks like what it looks like to all ages. Patience, kindness,encouraging, routines and boundaries, listening, inclusion of all, belonging, feeling safe. acts of service , High fives, Special times having fun. Regina Rose

    ReplyDelete
  4. My children are the same age as the campers. (7 and 9). My oldest likes to be listened to, need encouragement, wants to feel valued and important and likes to have one to one time to chat about his day. My youngest likes to have one to one time to talk and read together, likes being with friends and expressing herself through art.
    The words of my son-the leaders should know that we like to by busy, have fun, and we tend to be very hungry:-)

    Someone who shows kindness, encouragement, includes all children and provides a safe nurturing environment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1) I have a younger brother who will be attending the camp and I also work with kids at my church that also fit in with the age group. I've noticed that A LOT of kids love to be silly and mess around. They like to be active even if they don't do it a lot at home. But also a lot are very shy when first meeting a person, they won't interact unless some one talks to them first and even then, answers can often be no more then a couple words long. But most kids will open up eventually if constant attempts are made to try and be their friend.
    2) Yes I can talk to one right after finish these exercises.
    3) They want to have interaction, but at this age, it's generally not sitting down and having a deep conversation, it's inviting them to play a game, or to do an activity together or with you and some other kids. If you make constant attempts they will probably accept eventually, even if at first, it's just to make you stop asking. then they will become more comfortable with you and start to develop a friendship.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1. The girls that I mentor throughout the year. I've noticed that they all care way too much about what people think about them and have on this mask.
    2.Yes :)
    3. Real love will be giving them my time, and an ear to listen. They will interpret my actions being the same with all the campers. Showing them that I care about their lives and I want the best for them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My little sister is the same age as the children I will be leading. What I've noticed is kids at that age really care about how you feel about them and how much you seem to care and they will folow your example.
    Yeah, totally. Of course because they are young, it won't be the most detailed answer but it still will probably help you know how to get their attention and find out what they like that is fun and you could use to bond with then
    Real love would look like showing them they matter and you care. Playing with them in a game or helping them out, when you could be hanging our with people and your friend your age. It could be you simply asking about them and sharing a bit about yourself. Doing something that will make them feel special and a part of your group like having a special handshake or gething matching bracelets would be a good way to make then feel special.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have babysat a number of kids the age of the campers. I've seen their energy and childlikeness, but also their ability to understand bigger ideas. I also remember being that age and trying to make sense of the world. To love them, I will relate to them where they're at; playing WITH them and listening TO them. Then providing council by asking questions that relate to the things they have shared with me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kids this age are wonderful because they are old enough to understand their need for God and young enough to be open to receiving Jesus love through practical actions! Love is a decision and it is shown through our ears, mouths, hands and feet. I will pray (and have been praying) each day for God to show me the needs of each camper I interact with and to use me to listen, speak and show love to them. Whatever we do for the least of these, we have done it unto Him. What an awesome responsibility and week-long opportunity! By HIS might and Spirit, not my own.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 1. I work and learn with people in the age bracket that I'm cabin leading for through my karate, and I notice / pull from experience that its a tough age where a lot of these kids may look at themselves in negative lights.

    2. Im going to be seeing some in the next couple days so yes I can talk to them.

    3. What one kid thinks is real love can be different for another, its our jobs as leaders to take the time to see what each camper needs and cater to that when we show compassion towards them. but general characteristics of real love are things like patience, and a willingness to listen to name a few.

    Connor Gleeson

    ReplyDelete