The Big Idea: Understanding camp ministry and preparing to be part of it.
How do you feel and what is on your mind on the drive up to camp? Is it like you are coming home, or do you feel a bit like Charlie Brown?
Camp is God's Idea! You are joining a legacy of God's work here on earth that stretches back to Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden (the first two people sent home from camp!), and where some of his most significant work is accomplished! Think about Jesus and what happened when he called twelve young guys from their homes and took them on a three year camping trip! One of them described it this way: "The Word became flesh and made his dwelling [literally, "set up his tent"] among us" (John 1:14).
Maybe getting ready for camp is one of the last things on your mind right now, but it is too significant an opportunity to leave preparation to the last minute. Here is something to get you excited and motivated!
Our prayer is that your decision to come to camp is driven first by a tenacious love for God and second by a compelling love for children and youth (see Mark 12:29-31). See you soon!
Please post your thoughts on these questions in the "Comments" box below. You will need to sign in with a Google or other account in order to do so.
How do you feel and what is on your mind on the drive up to camp? Is it like you are coming home, or do you feel a bit like Charlie Brown?
Camp is God's Idea! You are joining a legacy of God's work here on earth that stretches back to Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden (the first two people sent home from camp!), and where some of his most significant work is accomplished! Think about Jesus and what happened when he called twelve young guys from their homes and took them on a three year camping trip! One of them described it this way: "The Word became flesh and made his dwelling [literally, "set up his tent"] among us" (John 1:14).
Maybe getting ready for camp is one of the last things on your mind right now, but it is too significant an opportunity to leave preparation to the last minute. Here is something to get you excited and motivated!
Our prayer is that your decision to come to camp is driven first by a tenacious love for God and second by a compelling love for children and youth (see Mark 12:29-31). See you soon!
Please post your thoughts on these questions in the "Comments" box below. You will need to sign in with a Google or other account in order to do so.
- If you are a Camp Imadene veteran, what have you learned to bring with you to camp that others might not think of? Share the wealth of your experience!
- What "homework" do you need to complete before you leave for camp? For example, if you are a cabin leader are you ready to lead Bible discussions?
- Having read the article, "Camp Staff Saints" by John Thomas (see box above), how do you view your role this summer differently?


Come prepared and well rested! Pray for the children who are coming and have friends and family pray for you during your time at camp. Be prepared to give all of yourself to the children and staff to make it an unforgettable time! Bring up situations and relate it to how much Jesus loves everyone and is here for every situation we are going through...
ReplyDelete1. Never been to this camp yet! so looking forward to it!
ReplyDelete2. I am ready to lead any bible study or discussions. :)
3. I've been to camp before, while it was Girl Scouts, I've seen how caring, love, kindness, listening, person can make such a big impact on a child. My life inadvertently made a difference in one of the cabin leaders and it shocked me how being Authentic to who God has made a ripple. Regina J Rose
( Edit) Made me, Made a ripple.
ReplyDeleteQuestion 1- I have never been part of volunteer staff at any camp before.
ReplyDeleteQuestion 2&3-I am prepared to pray over the entire camp for staff and campers alike and pray that God will help the cabin leaders to share stories about their lives and how Christ is apart of each experience in their life. I pray that the cabin leaders will help each child realize how important each and everyone of them is and that Jesus loves each one unconditionally because they are all made perfect in His image.
I have never been to Camp Imadene before so I am looking forward to a new experience! Since I am going to be working in the kitchen I know that there will be early mornings and busy days. I am from Ontario so I know the three hour time change will be a bit of an adjustment but I'm excited to be serving behind the scenes in the kitchen!
ReplyDelete1) As a cabin leader, never expect to have a quiet, relaxing time at camp. You always have to be ready to interact with, help, teach, or play with your campers.
ReplyDelete2)I need to read up on the bible verses that will be covered during the speakers messages so that i will be ready to answer any questions campers may have on the subject.
3) I realized that I will have to be the initiator of a lot of the conversations I have with campers because a lot of them will be quite nervous and generally don't know what to expect from a camp environment
1. Never been to Imadene :)But in my experience cabin leading at Pioneer, I would say be ready for every moment to be life changing. You never know how God is going to use you in the short span of the week.
ReplyDelete2.I need to make sure I'm prepared for the new camp environment by chatting with staff.
3.I see my role as a legacy and not just another face at camp.
1. I have never actually been to imedene but I'm super excited!!
ReplyDelete2. We should know what the speaker will be speaking on and make good questions to ask the kids during devos or debrief.
We need to get a lot of catch-up sleep the week previous for sure.
3. That article got me so excited cause we have to know that our role as cabin leaders is to make kids feel needed and make them have a close encounter with God that they will remember. I think we all have to know that these kids are coming from situations at home that we don't know and as cabin leader we have to take those kids and their situation and see the Lord work through them!
I have never served at Imadene or any camp before so this is my first time!
ReplyDeleteI need to finish my leadership books, really dig into prayer and making sure my heart is where it should be and that I will lean on God for strength to be able to serve efficiently
Everyone's role at camp is super important. I'm doing kitchen staff this summer and some would think it's not very important, but without it camp wouldn't run (Just like without any role, camp wouldn't run) it will be hard work and you gotta keep your heart in the right place. You never know who comes from what place. Broken homes, good homes, Christian homes or non-Christian homes, if theyve ever eve heard about jess etc... Camp is life changing to so many people and the staff who are so filled with God's love play a HUGE part in that
This is my first time at camp as a counsellor, but I have been a camper before at another youth camp. I know what it's like to feel on the outside so I plan to be very aware of campers who might be feeling lonely or who just aren't as extroverted, so that I can come alongside them and find other ways that they might be able to engage more comfortably. In terms of homework, I am waiting to hear about the theme, speaker, messages, and camp packing list - but for now I am prepping by thinking ahead to what gifts or crafts I might want to have for my campers.
ReplyDeleteIf you are a Camp Imadene veteran, what have you learned to bring with you to camp that others might not think of? Share the wealth of your experience!
ReplyDeleteI was a camper for five years in middle school and high school at Camp Imadene. I remember my cabin leader would sometimes write us little post it notes or cards throughout the week with prayers and check-ins so I plan on bringing some stationary so I can do that as it helped build relationships between the cabin leader and the campers.
What "homework" do you need to complete before you leave for camp? For example, if you are a cabin leader are you ready to lead Bible discussions?
Need to review the verses we will be focusing on during camp and also need to pray for all campers AND camp staff for an amazing week and that the fruits of the week continue past the end of the camp.
Having read the article, "Camp Staff Saints" by John Thomas (see box above), how do you view your role this summer differently?
I really want to make an effort to learn the names of every kid as this is something I'm not always great at and I know it can go a long way to remember every camper's name in relationship building.
1. Bring confidence, the campers are going to be looking up to you and you need to go in knowing that you got this, and that gods by your side while your doing this.
ReplyDelete2. Its a good idea to know what the speaker is going to be focusing on that week so that you are better prepared for questions, and prayer.
3. The campers look at us like we are superheros, and we need to try our best to meet those expectations.
Connor Gleeson